Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The problem with big projects.

As I mentioned, oh so recently, I am working on a blanket that is being made of very shaggy, soft yarn. I made comments styling myself as boldly knitting regardless of errors or confusions.
Sounds nice, doesn't it?

I have revised my plans.

I shall still knit the blanket with the shaggy, soft yarns. I will still make use of 12 skeins of said shaggy yarn, a full 924 yards of fabric. I shall still be using the Ripple Afghan pattern.

Yet, rather than boldly knitting it up, I shall be working on it only when I can get 4 rows in at a time. The reason for this is that the shaggy, soft yarn does not lend itself to visible stitch definition. Thus, if I put it down and walk away, I have no idea where I am when I come back to it.
The four rows make up 456 stitches. 114 purl stitches, 228 knit stitches and 108 increase/decrease stitches (with 6 stitches of border on that row).

Some mistakes will be invisible, but too many will make for problems. This is not project for frogging. Having to knit back to the same spot on this blanket could end up landed me with a hatred for shaggy and soft things. I can not imagine life would be so great without shaggy and soft things.

Thus my blanket will not be traveling much. It shall remain in one space to be worked in set intervals with no distractions allowed. That is the problem with big projects. They will be slow moving and, in some cases, require scheduling the knitting time.

I figure quarantining the blanket during it's gestation is only for the best.

No comments:

On the Needles

  • Lacy Shrug with Fluffy Cuffs
  • cat toys
  • Scarf to go with gloves
  • Entrelac Blanket