Friday, October 24, 2008

A new blankie

This has been a fairly busy week. I have been training on my new job and my training hours are 10-7, so I sleep in and get home a bit late. I am beginning to wonder how it will work out when I am 3-Midnight in December. Hmmmm...


I have stalled out on the socks. I am finding it hard to figure out where I need to be putting the heel, and I am almost upon it. So rather than risk knitting past it, I have simply put the half sock down. I look at it every day when I leave or enter my room. I usually mutter something about not having time, but I don't know that the sock believes me. I think it knows my fear and is simply waiting for me to get over it.

The laundry soap bag is having the usual progress and still looks pretty nice. It may be a year before that one is done. I am only getting a couple of hours of knitting time in once a week. So it is a slow project.

The Domino case has hit a snag. Seems the yarn doesn't know what size it is.
When I knit the bottom piece I measured it against the stacked toys. When I cast off I immediately wet the item, applied pressure and later heat, and found it had grown just a bit. This was no problem and actually I rather liked the larger size, but alas that was not the final size. It has shrunk back down and is now this awkward size. I will figure it out at some point, but in the meantime I am trying to redesign the lid.

This has led me to cast on a new project.
I have been thinking about new projects all week. Prowling through the pattern section of Ravelry. Flipping through pages of projects people have completed with the yarn I have in my stash. I have been thinking about arm warmers with my Moutain Colors yarn (shown here). I have considered leg warmers with my Dark Horse Yarns. (Get the impression it might be a bit cold outside?) I have even toyed with the idea of a sweater or jacket using random yarns.Oh yes, I have been dreaming of FO's.
Finally I settled on my blankie.

I had started knitting up a very fuzzy, feather and fan stitch, throw while I was in Minnesota. Unfortunately there was a problem with the number of stitches and how frequently they changed.
Last night I ripped it out and cast on again, this time using some numbers I found in the Ripple Afghan pattern that has been tucked away in a knitting autodidact book. I have gotten through the border rows and next is the feather and fan stitch pattern, over and over again, for a measure of 10 skeins of yarn. This project will be a fall back project. It is a good thing I have chosen to use my fall colors of Chinchilla yarn (pictured throughout). If nothing else, I shall pet the yarn and whatever stitches are on the needle. They shall give me comfort while the world outside of my door rages with problems. I shall go to work, then come home for tea and fuzzy yarn. It will be good.
This project is not just a blankie, but a security blankie that shall start working as it is knit.
When it is done, it will be bright and soft and warm and big. It will be my first completed blanket. And it will be mine. This is not being knit for anyone but me.

No comments:

On the Needles

  • Lacy Shrug with Fluffy Cuffs
  • cat toys
  • Scarf to go with gloves
  • Entrelac Blanket