Friday, May 16, 2008

Blast from the past - April 15th, 2008

It has been a couple of weeks since my injury. My last visit with the doctor was just this past Friday and I was sentenced to two more weeks out of work.

What have I been doing with this time?

At first I was limited to the couch and watched much TV.
I was hooked up with a Wii and some time was spent playing various games. There was also some reading of books. The first weekend after my injury some friends of mine kept me busy with various events, including dinners. I have since learned which vehicles are comfortable for a person with a bum leg, which is only one. The car in question has a dozen or so buttons for adjusting the seat.

Some time last week I realized that I was getting nothing done during my downtime and I quickly figured out it was because the TV was sucking up hours of the day. I have since cut the TV out of my daytime activities and focused more on knitting.

This has lead to two finished projects and a third secret project that should be done by 6pm today, yarn willing.

I completed the Alaska Drops headband, which is awaiting pick up by the intended recipient:















I also made a knitted coffee sling. The pattern can be found
here. I do not yet have a picture of this one, but that will be forth coming. (ETA: A picture will be forthcoming when I redo this one.)


I found a lovely podcast for knitters called Cast On. A full directory of episodes can be found here.

Where before the TV was sucking away my hours, now knitting is doing so.
The pod casts are around an hour each and I am up to episode 27 as we speak (ETA: I completed all episodes before the 21st of April). I only found this podcast a few days ago. Sunday, I believe.
I am neglecting other activities as I focus on making things from yarn. There are actually enough engaging projects before me that I am not really hurting to bad from lack of work.

It is amazing to me. I used to hate not having a job to keep me busy. Nine hours of my day was easily kept from boredom via work, even when I hated my job. Now, I find the day gone without having once stared at the walls. I keep busy enough that my lack of interaction with other people doesn't bother me, until someone from my office calls me and I am reminded that I have my own store, my baby, and I am sure it is becoming a horrid mess without me.

With my current job it is easy for me to put in ten hours at work. I have often stopped by on my day off to fix something, drop something off or even just check in and make sure all is well. This is the first time I have had a job that I loved and I am finding that I am almost as much of a workaholic as my friend Jason. So imagine my surprise when I learn that I can have downtime without going crazy.

Of course it helps to have four or more hobbies, new books and a Wii.
Once I am back at work all of these other things to do will slide back onto the shelf as my job takes the fore, but I can at least look back at this time with fond memories. I know that if I win the lottery and retire (yeah, right) that I will have things to do that I enjoy and can fill my days with.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

On the Needles

  • Lacy Shrug with Fluffy Cuffs
  • cat toys
  • Scarf to go with gloves
  • Entrelac Blanket