Monday, May 26, 2008

Stash update

Many stores have sales on Memorial Day.
Many yarn stores have sales too.
But one of our local yarn stores, Ewe Knit Kits and Yarn specifically, had a stash busting sale.

It's over now and I report this having been a witness and participant.

All the yarns in a dedicated and surprisingly large section were available for $40-a-bag.
Which is to say they gave each person a very very roomy plastic bag, which could be stretched for even more room, and anything the customer put in that bag or have barely hanging in the bag (from that section only) could be purchased at a flat rate of $40.
This event was two days only and I honestly missed the first day. While I wonder about what I missed, I do not feel regret as I did do quite well.

When I arrived I had with me a friend who had finally decided she wanted to learn to knit. I explained the sale to her as we got our bags. She started off shyly while I pounded yarn in my bag to make room for more.
Eventually one of the store employees said she wasn't doing it right and went to her aid by dumping the yarn out on to the floor. Then the lady stretched the bag and started putting the small skeins in first, jamming them down and asking for more then finishing off with large 300+ yard skeins of worsted weight Llama.

In the end I scored $321 of yarn for only $40.
My friend managed an amazing $394 of yarn for the same price.

My stash is a happy stash. I will have to figure out how to store skeins on the ceiling, but I am sure I will figure it out.

After that, we did regular shopping. We found her an easy lace shawl pattern and the needles for knitting it up. I got myself a yarn spinning kit, complete with drop spindle, (which I could afford thanks to all that savings) and a $0.99 skien of yarn that had not been snatched up yet from the bargain basket.

There was a table in the back of the store with cookies, cake and candy were we snagged some seats and I taught my friend to knit. She was not the first person I have taught knitting to, but she is my first dedicated pupil. Within short order she was working lace, reading charts and learning to adjust patterns.
I am lucky to find such a gifted student. One of the other store employees said I should teach a class for them. I have to admit being tempted by that idea.

While we were knitting, others were shopping and we got to see the record deal of the whole two day sale. One lady, bag stuffed with some very very nice yarns, scored over $600 worth of yarn for forty bucks.
Wow.

Admittedly all of us felt a little bad, as if we were taking advantage of the deal, but I don't think there is a single one who actually regrets our purchases.
And why should we? The employees were encouraged by the store owner to help us stuff our bags as much as we could. If nothing else, they have more room for new yarn and an amazing amount of word of mouth advertising for their store. Oh, and my friend lives close to that store, so she will be going there for her supplies.

Before we left, I told them they should do this sale again but with a couple of differences. I suggested smaller, large-envelope style bags and the sale be $60 or $80 for selected books, magazines and patterns. I do hope they will do this. My stash is set, but my library could use some padding out.

For now, I have my hands full photographing my new yarn and posting in my Ravelry stash.

I got a lot of yarn.

No comments:

On the Needles

  • Lacy Shrug with Fluffy Cuffs
  • cat toys
  • Scarf to go with gloves
  • Entrelac Blanket